Monday 23 January 2012

Valerian Root - sweet dreams & cool for cats?

When I was younger, I used to sleep so well.
In fact, I could drift off to sleep and wake up quite refreshed at whatever time I'd decided I needed to rise. I've never liked to lie-in. I love the early mornings and hearing the dawn chorus was nothing but joy to start my day.

Then came M.E.

Painful, endless nights, like lying on a burning mat, limbs shivering, muscles twitching no matter which way I lie. Hot. Cold. Stiff. Nauseous. Sometimes I can get to sleep, but the sleep is fitful, and I jerk back into consciousness every hour or so. By morning, I'm so exhausted I drop off for longer than I like to, and suddenly it's late (mid-morning is late to me!).

I try to maintain a good sleeping pattern so my body clock isn't thrown, but my body has a mind of its own. When I've overdone things, or pick up a virus, like at the start of my latest big M.E. meltdown, I can sleep the clock round and never feel refreshed or even half human in the waking hours.



I've tried lots of things over the years. I asked my GP about MELATONIN some years back, but she wasn't allowed by her own professional guidelines to prescribe it. If she had, the cost would have been covered by my medical exemption certificate for Type 1 diabetes and similar lifetime conditions. I bought some online from a reputable chemist. Quite expensive to keep that up and I didn't see any huge improvement, though for a while seemed to help with actually getting off to sleep. It's what our bodies produce naturally when we are well and functioning normally. No side effects. Widely used to counteract jetlag etc.

Likewise, in the early days of diagnosis I was prescribed low dose AMITRIPTYLINE to help painkillers to work more effectively and aid relaxation and sleep. But these had many unwanted side effects like weight gain and tachycardia and were eventually stopped. They didn't really do anything for sleep, in any case. Not sleep that felt healthy.

I was never just "stressed", in any case, apart from feeling despair at not being able to function reliably. Plus the emotional struggle any human has with coming to terms with a disability that's an invisible illness, to boot. One that gives the world and their grandma a license to tell you how you could miraculously cure yourself if only you take the quack advice they heard from their next door neighbour but one! (Cures which invariably turn out to be for CFS, or because the patient went into remission which may or may not prove permanent!)

I've tried HEAT PADS, HOT WATER BOTTLES, RELAXATION TECHNIQUES, WHITE NOISE, NATURE SOUNDS, SEA SOUNDS, TREE SOUNDS, LAVENDER, HOPS (the plant, not the exercise!), TENS MACHINES, PERRIN TECHNIQUE, DIET MODIFICATION (more than all usual modification for diabetic health), TAI CHI (when able to balance for the less demanding moves!), COUNTING SHEEP. You name it. Most of these are comforting and relaxing. My favourite of them is LAVENDER, on balance. Heavenly scent, like summer fields and open spaces. A few drops on your pillow or combined with a heat pad can sometimes be just what you need to feel good. Sweet sleep may well follow. Though sometimes it doesn't, for long!



But till some lovely spoonie friends mentioned it on Twitter recently, I had never tried
VALERIAN ROOT (Valeriana officinalis).

I discovered I could buy 90 tablets of VALERIAN (3 bottles of 30 vegetarian 500mg tablets) from Amazon.co.uk marketplace for £2.50 + £2.03 shipping. They arrived two days later.

Only down side- they pong rather like a cross between Tom cat wee and something slightly unsettling you can't quite place! They are sometimes likened to catnip for sending cats wild! The smell is quite unmistakable from the moment you break the seal on the pill bottle. Apparently Valerian teabags and liquid forms have a similar effect. So I lock the doors before taking the lid off now. Don't want to be pulled up by the RSPCA for driving the neighbourhood kitties insane with desire!



I have taken 1,2 and some days 3 per night, staggered through the evening (this is the recommended dose on the label). On the days I have taken them I certainly feel drowsier (nauseous, exhausted drowsy) before bed. That can happen with M.E. too, so a bit tricky to quantify. I have got off to sleep quite quickly too, which is a good thing. I still wake occasionally through night but get back to sleep. Again, certainly not worse than before, though would have to try it when sleep problems are at their worst.



I have certainly slept longer. Last night, with some interruptions, almost 10 hours (10.30pm - 9am) which is excellent. The trouble is still, with M.E., I don't feel much refreshed by that good long sleep. Though an outing on Saturday had all but wiped me out. Still pain, nausea, brain fog (terribly much yesterday in particular), unsteadiness and very little appetite at the moment.

As usual, we'll see how it goes. So far, so good. Apart from the stomach-churning pong! At least your cats will love you!
.................................................................................................................................

Update Tuesday 24th Jan 2012: Took 2 tabs last night around 11pm. Slept with a few minor interrruptions until 11.30am. At which point mum texting to make sure I was ok and not hypo. Managed to struggle down by just after noon. BG 12.0 (high, but not that unusual if I ever sleep late). Headache, muscles weak & "rubbery", heart pounding on and off, chest sore and fibro tender in shoulders, wrists, knees. But on that evidence, the Valerian seems to be working as a natural sleep-promoter! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

3 comments:

  1. Now that is interesting; I take good old Amitriptylene, it helps with going to, and staying asleep but I hate the side-effects - the hangover effect and dry mouth for hours in the morning, plus the weight gain. I might have to give these a try.
    Thanks for the info :-) XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. The symptoms you list -hangover sensation, that awful dry mouth & the weight gain (plus raised heartrate for me)made me discontinue Amitriptyline about 3 years ago. I'd definately say Valerian's worth a whirl. So cheap at side of other "alternative" stuff I've tried over the years. Just remember the peg for your nose though...lol o_O xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. *definitely (ruddy brainfog!)

    ReplyDelete