Monday 2 January 2012

"Spooney!" said the clerk...what the Dickens? M.E. Brain Fog strikes again!

Some days I can't concentrate to read. You've probably found the same problem? I think it's a very common experience for people with M.E.

One day on Twitter, I couldn't work out, after looking at it several times, whether what I was seeing was my own Twitter name or somebody else's with very similar letters. With M.E.-related cognitive dysfunction and brain fog, inputted info sometimes gets mangled on the way in - and out!

The times I have to check and recheck what I write would have to be seen to be believed by anybody not sharing our enforced 'Spoonie'-dom! This often brings laughter. On really bad days, it brings tears of sheer frustration through exhaustion! Even after endless checks, some real "howler" mistakes slip through. As a grammar Nazi by natural inclination, few things are more galling to me than seeing errors I've made in print just through M.E., when before, I could have spotted them a mile off! The silver lining here is the empathy this frustration can give us for friends with dyslexia who deal heroically with word blindness all day, every day. Not just when brain fog descends.

Reading and writing are some of my principle joys in life. So naturally, I notice the changes to perception and information processing M.E. has brought.

Over Christmas, I was rereading Charles Dickens' "Great Expectations" on Kindle. I love Kindle. Light as a feather to lift and hold. Adjustable text size for aching eyes. Adjustable brightness for light-sensitivity. No cumbersome pages springing back or weighty tomes hurting your fragile wrists. Much as I love "real" books, with M.E. they present untold problems, though I hate to admit it as a book lover.

It shows how much M.E. changes your life when your mind immediately reads a capital "ME" as "M.E." in most contexts. I was getting tired and struggling. I was rereading a sentence, a paragraph, a short phrase time and again just to take in the meaning and follow the plot!

I was reading Chapter 20, where the hero Pip travels to London to be schooled to become a "gentleman" and fulfil the eponymous 'great expectations' predicted for him. In the lawyer Jaggers' office, Pip witnesses a heated exchange between Jaggers and a man called Mike.

I read the line:

"You infernal scoundrel, how dare you tell ME that?"

Of course, the capital letters "ME" at first jumped out at me as a reference to our illness! This wasn't helped when over the (virtual) page, came the line:

"Spooney!" said the clerk, in a low voice, giving him a stir with his elbow.

I don't recall associating either the capital letters ME or the word 'spooney' with a devastating neurological disease last time I enjoyed a Dickens novel! Really need to get out more, don't I? If only, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment