Tuesday 3 January 2012

M.E.'s darkest moments: I am worn out from groaning!

Llewellyn King: ME/CFS: Into 2012 without Cure or Care

The link above is a wonderful article exposing the reality of M.E.
I confess I wept on reading the quote from the lady who, speaking about her worst moments with M.E. when bedridden and housebound completely, wrote in an email to Mr King:

"I am not sure I can hang on another year, when every day is so hard to get through. Just a few weeks ago, a doctor laughed at me and said there was no such thing as [my disease], and my husband just sat there, not once backing me. That was more hurt than I can carry for another year. I pray every night, 'Now I lay me down to sleep and please, Lord, take me before I wake.' ”

I reckon we have all been to that precipice point when housebound and bedridden. I recall turning my face to the wall, as best as I could, when I could hardly roll over in bed, one time when my M.E. was at its very worst and sobbing "My life is OVER!" Even with deep faith and conviction that God is in charge, exhaustion brings agonising wilderness moments when we feel nothing but alone. Just like the Psalms constantly cry out from the darkest corners of agony, it's 100% natural as children of faith, we grieve for the full potential we see sucked out of us by devastating weakening illness. Even if, in our heart of hearts we're convinced our lives are valuable whatever our disability, our emotions often tell a bleaker tale.

Could we claim to be fully human if  such moments were alien to our experience? We shouldn't feel ashamed of our tears and rage, or count it as weakness. We just need to support one another through the darkest hours. If we have a faith, we need to embrace the truth that sometimes we need resources outside our own limited striving, to lift us gently up from the pit of despair and to hold us cradled when the last spoon of strength we have is utterly spent, till the worst storms pass and even though so sick we can look from a new perspective.


"Be merciful to me,Lord, for I am faint; O Lord, heal me, for my bones are in agony
My soul is in anguish. How long, O LORD, how long?
I am worn out from groaning; all night long I flood my bed with weeping and drench my couch with tears. 
My eyes grow weak with sorrow" (Psalm 6 verses 2, 3, 6 & 7)

I wish I'd a pound for every time since M.E. struck me down that these words express what I sometimes feel. We know we're not alone feeling these emotions. They've been part of being alive since God was a lad!

What a travesty and disgrace it seems that such heartfelt pleas as Mr King's are still so needed after all this time as a New Year rallying call. Haven't we been campaigning and raising awareness long enough for the world, the medical establishment, the governments, the public, the researchers to take for granted the urgent need for progress right now to cure and care?


But we know different and I'm so grateful for Mr King's articulate call to action. We need to whisper it, croak it, shout it, demonstrate it till truth and justice and healing dawn at last. Personally, I believe God's big enough, loving enough and patient enough to carry us till that day. Even if you are convinced that God is just wish-fulfilment fairytale bunkum, there's still a reason to hang on in there for your own sake and the sake of spoonie friends everywhere, to help make the world sit up and take notice of what's right and what's worth fighting for.


As Llewellyn King writes so well:


"A cure this year is unlikely, but better understanding can start today. Now...Maybe in 2012 the voiceless victims of ME/CFS will be heard, even faintly."

No comments:

Post a Comment