Tuesday 29 November 2011

Mrs Overdone overdoing it again! Know when enough's enough?

Sorry if this post sounds a bit disjointed! (Or maybe that's a blessing!)

Today I'm rather sick to sit for long. My stomach is nauseous; ears ringing; can't tolerate much light or sound; wrists, arms, chest sore; stabbing pains in my hips; palpitations; burning and shivering; tender glands; voice weak and absent at times. Can't concentrate to remember what I'm supposed to be doing from one minute to the next.

Slept until almost lunch time today. Slept a lot of yesterday too. Mum called in with lunch to make sure I got something to eat and to check I was OK blood sugar wise.

No wonder really. This is real payback time after the weekend.

I managed to finish filling in my ESA50 and sent it off last Friday. I had intended pacing myself to get it fully completed without need for haste, ready for the stated deadline 8th December. That's what the letter accompanying the form said. Then last Thursday another bullying letter from ATOS. Yes, I know it's routine, but it nearly imploded me from the shock. Thursday's "form" reminder to say they hadn't yet received the form stated I risked losing benefits if I didn't return the form by 1st December!! 1st December! Was this a mistake? A trick? My mind was racing. Thank goodness I'd made a good start already, but it still meant some rushing to finish.

I used the blank section of the ESA50 intended for you to explain if you are returning the form late. Only I said it wasn't late. I fully explained the effect on someone with a chronic illness where rest and pacing is essential, of having this sudden change of deadline in mid claim. I said if they didn't move the goalposts without explanation a second time, the form should be with them by the 1st. That may disqualify me immediately for being "non compliant" to their nonsense. At least I'll be going down fighting! I did add a "thank you," more in keeping with my normal courtesy at the end of this section. I know I'm not alone in finding their duplicity utterly infuriating.

That left less than the planned period of rest leading up to Sunday's long-established commitment to take the Advent service at my local church. I had a lift there and kneelers stacked on the pulpit seat to help support me to sit at times and still be seen from the back. I had members of the congregation doing all the readings and lighting the first Advent candle in the Advent Crown. I had my stick with me to balance for the prayer of dedication over the collection plates (even then, the stewards said they were worried I looked wobbly enough to drop them!) and for coming forward to the altar rail to share the words of blessing at the end of the service. I'd had all my words written down in case of brain fog meltdown and losing my train of thought. Even with all these props in place, plus a powerful radio mic, as soon as the service was over, I hadn't much voice left for greeting people on the door afterwards. I had to slump against the wall and then sit again to make it through.

As I've said before, although it seems frustrating to be able to do so little and so seldom, I'm just so thankful to do this at least, no matter what the cost in relapsing afterwards. I always seem to have just enough resources (not from my own strength, for sure!) to do what I believe I'm called to fulfil. People here know me and most understand a little more about M.E. now, so I'm very thankful for their support, love and help.

New friends, the daughter and granddaughter of a dear couple of friends in this congregation, were visiting from Scotland and came to the service. It was wonderful to meet them, if only briefly, after the service. My friends' lovely granddaughter is a young teenager who has also had M.E. since 2008. Now she is able to attend school part-time, even though I know it must be such a struggle for her at times. She must make her family so proud! It felt good for us to meet, with her lovely mum, after long comparing notes of our situations through M.E. via her grandparents. Like me, I think she finds writing a great outlet and a joy that can be enjoyed on days when more energetic pursuits are ruled out.

I had also been invited later to other friends' Golden wedding celebrations. Ideally it would have been on a day when I wasn't doing another huge challenge, but life doesn't come with pacing built in, does it? Anniversaries come when they come, don't they? All my friends at this beautiful event completely understood my health problems, and helped to make the day as easy as possible for me, including lifts, rests etc. After lunch we had a time of photos, laughter and reminiscences back at the home of my friends' daughter. I enjoyed every minute and treasure every second.

No wonder, though, that post-exertional malaise and all the attendant symptoms are now catching up on me with a vengeance. I feel like I've been running up Mount Everest while being run over by a steam roller! More than worth it, though. I'm just very thankful I've no other major commitments this week as I try to recover! Winter may be playing its part with wind and wetness, cold and chilliness making it more of a struggle to keep well. I'm constantly fighting viral symptoms at the moment. But there are happy memories to enjoy and so much to be grateful for!

On a world scale, there's more good news from Norway. After the encouraging trials of Rituximab in the treatment of CFS (however they are actually defining it), and their Government's apology to M.E. patients for the lack of awareness and treatment in the past, comes real positive action. The Norwegian Health Minister Anne-Grete Strom-Erichsen pledges 2 million krone to the two doctors involved for further research, as well as promising a national M.E. centre in Oslo!

If only sorry wasn't such a dirty word to the UK powers-that-be. Please catch up, UK! We're still here, struggling. Advent is a time of hopeful preparation. That makes my spirit sing with joy and celebrate everything around me as miracle and gift.  But medically, bodily, even pacing shouldn't justify the medical profession and politicians  keeping us waiting  for ever, if it's in their power and possibility to be faithful to those they care for!

No comments:

Post a Comment