Monday 14 November 2011

Have a heart! Yes, I do!



Well, I definitely DO have a heart. It's official!

Had my echocardiogram this morning at hospital, followed by being fitted with electrodes and the 48 hour ambulatory heart monitor (Holter tape).

With M.E., just making the bus journey at a fairly crowded, early time of day was more stressful than the whole hour long visit to the quiet, restful Cardiology suite! I was shivering cold on the journey in, sickened as usual by the motion, noise and light, my body struggling to regulate its temperature. But the journey is only ten minutes, so I'm very thankful for that! As usual, my mum stayed over to make the trip with me, helping by carrying bag, stick, coat and cardigan when needed! She really is such an angel in every awkward health situation. (Not to mention saving the taxpayer endless money in Carer's Allowance/DLA as she appears when most needed and asks nothing but love!)



On arrival at Cardio reception we were shown into the waiting area. Only two male patients waiting to be seen before me, so managed to spend the time resting and recovering with my eyes closed mostly.

Only about ten minutes after my appointment time, I was called in for the Echo. The lass operating the equipment got me to strip off above the waist while she got ready with another young woman at a computer screen outside the curtained-off couch and echo machine. Sporting my fetching hospital gown, (soon unlaced again to allow access to all areas!), I was to lie on my left side on the couch, right hand resting on my legs, left supporting my head.



By now, to be honest, my head was spinning a bit. The most difficult thing was probably maintaining that slightly uncomfortable positon without giving the impression my unsteady discomfort was in any way attributable to the very capable and efficient echocardiographer! I managed a few jokey comments along the way, but spent most of the time with my eyes half closed trying to put all my energy into maintaining my position and keeping still and quiet for the scan (i.e. without twitching or keeling over!)

This was the standard Transthoracic echocardiogram. It was a cold autumn day for icy gel to be applied, so a good connection would be made between the hand-held transducer and my hot little chest!  My muscles are so sore with the M.E. that the first contact with the business end of the transducer was rather painful. I was honest about it when the operator asked, but assured her it was me being tender, not her being heavy handed! The high frequency ultrasound waves pinged through my upper chest before the transducer was moved to underneath my left breast in several positions to view the heart from different angles. These sound waves bounced off the hidden corners of my heart. The glugs and roars audible from time to time convinced me it was still beating!

Then I hauled myself back over onto my back and the transducer moved to the top of my stomach/between my breasts and finally onto my neck with raised chin. These last few places are the ones where my current palpitations are most often felt. I must have had 3-4 heart "skips" during the whole process. No idea if these showed up or not till I see the consultant again.

Then this part was over and I cleaned up the copious amounts of jelly from my torso. Only need some custard to go with it, I joked feebly. I found the bit I'd missed near my throat when I put my jumper back on. I could see the missed gel seeping through then, as if I'd dropped my breakfast down me!



Back into the waiting area where my mum was sitting like a pack horse under a mound of my cast off belongings and outer clothes necessary for a cold draughty bus ride. She was talking to the wife of another patient, similarly burdened by her husband's outer garments while awaiting his return from the land of mysterious beeps.

 A few minutes and I was called into another side room for the fitting of the 48-hour heart monitor. You can see the equipment used, if you haven't had the joy of this procedure before, in the accompanying photos in this blogpost.



The lovely nurse who called me through fitted the electrodes while another younger nurse helped to explain and do the paperwork. They were very helpful indeed. Although the department normally asks for the monitor to be disconnected and returned to Cardio Reception between 8.30am-9.30am on the third day, because I have a diabetic ophthalmology appointment on Wednesday afternoon, they were more than happy to let me drop the monitor off later when I'm in the hospital for that. This was such a blessing and relief, as it means two sickening, exhausting bus journeys saved in the same day which would have probably knocked me out for the rest of the week.



I've got a spare set of electrodes in case the originals get wet or detached. I've an A4 sheet ruled as a diary to record date/time/activity/symptoms. Whenever I feel the palpitations, or any breathlessness, dizziness/faintness or chest discomfort, I simply record the time and symptom in the diary, also pressing either the yellow or green buttons on the monitor to make it easier for those analysing the tape to spot the relevant moments recorded. All simple. Even the electrodes are colour coded in order of placement on the body - like traffic lights. Red on the left lower chest side, yellow on the upper right chest and green on the right side of lower chest. Even having trouble with telling your right from your left, the diagrams should keep you ticking over!

The actual monitor itself is as light and small as a mobile phone and clips easily onto the waistband of trousers, skirt etc. The wires tuck away discreetly and the electrodes itch from time to time but are hardly noticeable.

I'm completely frazzled now. Hardly surprising! All this and a phone call on my return, from a good friend not seen since I was working full time as a minister on the South Coast has left me struggling to put one finger and thought in front of the other. There'll not be many "activities" on my diary page for the rest of the day, I reckon!



I'll keep you posted! They'll book me a follow-up session with the cardiologist after the monitor's returned on Wednesday. Hope this'll help reassure anybody going through similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment