Tuesday 15 November 2011

Hypo versus Heart Monitor in the wee small hours!

Starting to ignore some more minor heart flip-flops through the day as I don't want to run out of diary or look like a hypochondriac if this this turns out to be "normal" arrhythmia I'll just need to put up with!

Documenting most of them, though.

Boy, these attached electrodes are pretty heavy duty! Woke at 3.45am bathed in sweat, rigid, jerky, disorientated. My PJs were visibly saturated with hypoglycemic fight-or-flight sweat. I'd already had a little sugar and carbohydrate to raise a borderline 3.9 BG before bed to stay safe. It was then up to 8.8 so not entirely happy it did one of it's periodic plummets just a few hours later. A BG test winked an alarming 1.5 in the dead of the night. Not so alarming to me, after all these decades. I imagine professionals would have me whipped into hospital or at least have paramedics at hand if they saw the same, going by the book.

I had more jelly babies (instant sugar fix kept handy wherever I am.) Then crawled down for a couple of plain digestives (20g carb). I was so wet from hypo sweating I was totally amazed the heart monitor electrodes were still attached so firmly and not washed away in the drenching! By then I had gone from sweating to shivering, sore and even more trembly and jerky. That's when I'm "normal" with M.E.! I remember being most concerned not to let the heart monitor drop when trying to manage the emergency drill. I suppose that's why the NHS is right to put faith and funds into a piece of equipment which can cost £1,900 according to this site: BMA Medical supplies LifeCard CF Holter Monitor !

Slept a little, exhausted, by dawn and now feel like death minimally warmed up. I do think it's perhaps the best thing that could have happened, though, on sober reflection, as my heart flip-flops its way through the morning. These palpitation symptoms, along with the accompanying odd, faint, nauseous feelings at times, were relatively unnoticed apart from maybe imperceptible racing during the worst of the hypo. My chest only resumed giving its little flops and "electric" tickles in the aftermath.

At least with the Holter monitor in place, it may actually be possible to get to the bottom of these problems.
It goes back tomorrow to the local Cardio department, so need to rest up properly after all that lonely early hours drama. Need to save up some energy "spoons" to be able to get through that plus a diabetic eye screening tomorrow afternoon. One return bus journey only for the both, so still think that's another fortunate turn.

Maybe at the end of all this, we'll actually have a Cardio/Diabetic/ M.E. understanding vibe going on. Or maybe the light-headedness has made me even more stupidly optimistic than usual!

No comments:

Post a Comment