Friday 18 November 2011

Here we go round the mulberry bush...

Landline rang this morning just after ten.

Hate landline as I don't know who it is till I pick up. So can't get myself prepared with necessary info. On landline I often end up gabbling like an idiot and forgetting what I need to say through brainfog. Plus it's usually going to be some telesales pusher who's got past the Telephone Preference Service filter.

It was the secretary at the Diabetic Eye Screening desk. Same one I rang last month after I received a letter to say I'd had an earlier letter inviting me to make an appointment at the Diabetic Clinic for screening. I hadn't had any such letter. This letter I did get, said records showed I'd not had a screening with an approved optometrist. I had; the ophthalmologist at the same hospital which the Diabetic clinic had themselves referred me to after picking up some retinal bleeds about three years ago. I've been going to this same optometrist regularly several times a year since that referral.



So I had rung a few weeks ago to ask if I needed screening as well. This same receptionist had said then that this had arisen because they had had a letter from my GP to say I'd been discharged from the Ophthalmologist back into the screening system. The bleeds had gradually healed themselves but, as I'd pointed out, I had just got a new regular appointment through for this week in Ophthalmology. The GP obviously knew of some mythical discharge letter from Ophthalmology that even they didn't know about, since they'd just called me for another regular check-up.

On Wednesday, at said check-up, I'd deliberately asked the consultant whether his tests, looking at my retina, the Optical Coherence Tomography and other tests still counted as my "diabetic eye screening" (how could it not?). But he said I still needed to see the diabetic eye screening guys. OK.

So, I dutifully stood corrected and rang the receptionist back yesterday to say their letter was right after all, and please could I make an appointment with their screening programme at the diabetic clinic again? She said she'd need to talk to the ophthalmologist's secretary, as Ophthalmology now had my notes, and she'd send me an appointment for early December.

Follow?  Me neither. But, "Patient Fully Compliant", in the words the pharmacist once wrote on a form when doing the yearly review of all my medicines. (Or "Fully Complaint" as she actually put!).


So today, this phone call from the receptionist. She apologetically explained that she had indeed spoken to the Ophthalmologist's secretary, who said that as I had an appointment in another four months with him, I did not, in fact, need to be seen by the Diabetic Eye Screening as well. That would be just doubling up all the tests. As I'd thought from the start. There's a limit to how many duplicate photos of the back of my eyes they actually want!

Confused? I began to think maybe for a change I'm the only one who isn't.
Common sense told me from the off that the Ophthalmology was doing the lot now (remember it was the Diabetic Clinic during routine annual screening that referred me there originally!)

But common sense is no match for expensive computer systems that seem unable to pass a message from one hospital department to another in the same building. Common sense is a stranger when consultants say one thing while their secretaries struggle to follow what should really be happening.

Common sense isn't worth a bean in the tide of automatic mailings, wasted phone calls, paper and time. When the GP seems to be getting paperwork that bears no relation to what's happening up the road in the various hospital departments and clinics! We wonder why there's no money in the N.H.S.!

At least after hours of waiting, the consultant found no oedema in my retina after ultrasounding it in the O.C.T., in spite of some further deterioration in my vision this time.
It's crashed me M.E.-wise but retina-wise, not doing so bad for my three decades with diabetes!
Now just waiting to hear from Cardiology...

1 comment:

  1. oh my oh my oh my! And you still remain patient!

    Glad the eye results were ok, but as if you need to expend precious energy on this sort of thing. Wouldn't it be lovely to have cottage hospitals, where people are treated as people.

    We turned up to visit our friend Jo in a Plymouth hospital last Saturday. We'd been phoned to say she was being released at 1pm, so we wanted to arrive and have time with her before then.

    It's over an hour's drive from our part of Cornwall. On arriving at the ward we were met with 'dinner time, protected time. No!' They wanted us to wait 2 hours, even though on the website visitor hours were apparantly open.

    Anyway, we ended up looking so shocked the nurse had compassion on us and we only had to wait 1/2 hour.

    It's the lack of courtesy which is a great shame. Politeness doesn't really take much and smooths the way so much more easily.

    I'm glad you're sorted anyway for the time being friend.

    ReplyDelete