Wednesday 23 November 2011

Believing six impossible things before breakfast

"Alice laughed: "There's no use trying," she said; "one can't believe impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

-Lewis Carroll in "Alice in Wonderland"

Here is a letter that passed between Lord Freud, Minister for Welfare Reform and the Countess of Mar, the prominent advocate for M.E. awareness. Freud reply to Mar.pdf

It clearly states: "Therefore, for the avoidance of doubt, I can be clear that the Department does not classify CFS/ME as a mental health disorder."

Yet I equally clearly heard another male peer express as a fact that it was not known whether the disease was wholly mental or would one day be cured physically. This was during Monday's House of Lords discussions of proposed amendments to the Welfare Reform Bill (stopped myself typing "catastrophic" there - didn't I do well?). Apart from his giving no convincing or indeed any satisfactory responses to his noble friends' many probing questions, I did not hear Lord Freud or anyone else correct him.

So who will speak the truth in our own assessments with ATOS and the DWP? The silence is deafening.

In other news, I see M.E. biomedical researcher Judy Mikovits is likely to be released from jail tonight after being arrested last Friday on felony charges relating to her dismissal in September from the Whittemore Peterson Institute in Nevada.
Inmate Mikovits meets judge
When will the truth be heard in this distressing case?

I think as M.E. patients, we are getting pretty skilled at "believing six impossible things before breakfast". It takes practice, but we get so much of that these days. Hard to swallow like our swollen throats and glands. Hard to get our head rounds in the midst of brain fog. But practice makes perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment