Thursday 13 October 2011

Don't need the cardiology to have a change of heart



Got to believe the doctor girl
He told me yesterday (yes he did)
Said you don't need the pharmacology
Cos I want you baby - I do want you baby
Don't need the cardiology
                                To have a change of heart.  - Scritti Politti 'Philosophy Now' from the album 'Provision'.   Quote from one of my favourite musicians, Mr Green 'Scritti Politti' Gartside, which sprang into my head as a slightly skewed summary of what just happened this morning. 
Well, for a start, my doctor isn't a 'he', she's a she, and she saw me today as arranged about a fortnight ago, not yesterday. But the rest is appropriate!
I'd reluctantly gone to see my GP to put friends and relatives minds at rest over the palpitations and tachycardia I've been having since my massive 'lost two hours of my life' hypo late last month. The one where my Mum found me slumped on the edge of the bed wielding one of my contact lenses and a nail file grunting "Grrrr - I DUNNO!!!!!" and smashing the proffered jelly babies out of her hands to fly across the room. Yes, that one.  My doc listened to my heart through the stethoscope and found it was pounding over 100bpm (white coat syndrome, though with her I feel quite relaxed?) though apparently regular. I had one palpitation late into 20 minute appointment. Flutter - swing. In the middle of my chest very slightly to the right.  She immediately made an appointment with the cardiology department of the local hospital in town, for a week today in the afternoon. Quicker than I managed to get an appointment with her, anyway!  I have been off Amitriptylene (NOT for depression, rather to help pain killers to work more effectively and to aid sleep with M.E.) for three years, and we were considering giving this another try to help the debilitating pains in chest, neck, arms, wrists etc. However, as  Amitriptylene can cause the heart to speed up, we decided it wasn't the right time to prescribe it until the heart problems are sorted one way or the other. She also advised me to run my blood sugars on the high side of normal till then so as not to put any more strain on my heart through hypo-induced heart-racing.   So I "don't need the pharmacology", well, no more than all the stuff I'm taking already and hopefully next week's trip to "cardiology" will also show I won't need "to have a change of heart" either! Long family history of valvular heart disease, strokes, atherosclerosis, cardiovascular early deaths notwithstanding! Is this maybe P.O.T.S. (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome) as part of the M.E.? Not always when I stand up, but also when I'm sitting? Will know soon enough.  Completely bushed now. No change there then! I'll keep you posted.



No comments:

Post a Comment