Thursday 10 March 2011

Some Mothers Do Ave ME

Daily Mail article about Michael Crawford's long slow recovery from M.E.

TBH I'm struggling to concentrate, sit up, balance, etc for more than a few minutes at a time, today. But on the whole, apart from exhaustion, nerve pain, balance and co-ordination issues that have dogged me rather this week since I took a service  for a single hour the week before last, it's been a good week. The joy of friendships and the start of Lent, spring flowers, laughter and all life's sweetness makes up for the M.E.-sodden bits of life! It does for yours truly, anyway!


But I wanted to share this today. I spotted this article in the online Daily Mail (Please see link above).


It's an encouragingly honest article by actor, comedian and singer Michael Crawford, beloved by my generation as bumbling Frank Spencer on 70s sitcom "Some Mothers Do Ave Em".

Michael tells of how he was stricken by M.E. when, like many of us, overwork and getting run down  (in his case the final trigger was working in a hot padded "fat" suit!) led to a virus that triggered his immune system's meltdown into M.E.

He found himself unable to pick up, even though previously so fit, after a bout of seemingly innocuous flu. That had happened to me, too in the Autumn of 2005. Well, the flu did. And the meltdown into M.E. Not the padded fat suit!


Michael had his worst period of "bust/crash" of M.E. for a whole seven years. During this time, like me, he sometimes wondered if his career was over. He retreated to complete rest and recuperation in New Zealand, allowing his body time to recover in its own way, as I'm also in the middle of doing, though I am only now just over five years into recovery. I hope by the time I get to the seventh year, I too will be back to cooking with energetic gas, like Michael, forever, or however long a "boom" of recovery I'm granted.

I'm well aware, with all the different sub-types of M.E we suffer, not all of us can achieve such a remission. Some have never had health and freedom from M.E. from a young age. I always count myself very blessed and fortunate to have been able to do so much, achieve so many of my goals before being floored by M.E.in my 40s (though it was tapping on my shoulder much longer than that, of course!).

Like many of us, Michael took the time to alter his diet to as healthy an option as possible to give his body all the help he could. I lost six stones in the time I've had M.E. (it was the debility of M.E. that slapped the weight on me in the first place of course.) One of the few "advantages" M.E. has given me is the space to sort out my Type 1 diabetes, which, although still unpredicatably erratic with unannounced hypoglycaemia at any hour of day or night, at least now is better controlled through carbohydrate counting than at any time during my adult/working life.

I bless Michael for sharing his own journey and his story all too familiar to at least some of us with M.E., those who are neither the least nor the most severely of all affected. I know some of the most severely affected find yet another story of celebrity M.E. recovery in the media is more than a little hard to swallow, and my heart goes out to all who feel this way. This is not an easy road, and the media has so long mocked and ridiculed M.E. sufferers that the resilient humour of many is tried to the limit.

Read the link and judge for yourselves.

From my personal point of view, his story inspires me. It gives me a chink of hope in the clouds of future uncertainty. In my own long, long slow miracle of painfully slow progress towards recovery, looking back on the little ways I can be useful now that were closed to me just a year ago as my career and life slipped through my grasp, I see hope that I too can dance on life's stage again, restored to some semblance of my former self!

God bless you, Michael. Be gentle with yourself and enjoy every moment of your new lease of life!

No comments:

Post a Comment