Thursday 17 March 2011

Soothing Sounds, Sweet Sleep?

Many people with illnesses that disrupt sleep patterns find out two things when their condition is in a flare-up:

(a) they can sleep forever through sheer exhaustion at the most inappropriate times, and

(b) sleep often eludes them at night, or sleep is interrupted and unrefreshing.

I'm always on the look out for sounds that I can play quietly just before retiring to help to ease my way into slumberland. I find favourite daytime tunes and songs are often too charged with emotion and excitement to be conducive to the land of nod. (That also applies, for me, to those slightly menacing talking tapes with stories or "on-the-shrink's couch" type delivery that gives you the willies rather than ushering you off to the land of Nod!)

Silence can be great, if thoughts aren't racing, as they often do during times of bodily illness when the mind can't switch off properly.

Sea sounds, waves washing on a beach or over shingle can do it for me, too.

Wind whispering through trees, birdsong, distant thunderstorms that make me feel snug and sheltered under the sheets also help me to drift off sometimes.  There are so many ambient cds and mp3s available with natural sounds.

Now I've discovered that piano jazz can also sometimes do the trick. The tinkling cascades from the piano, the low thumping heartbeat of the bass, the tick and tumbling of gentle drums and snares can soon have me in the mood to drift away in peace. 

Is it because the sort of chunky "Linus and Lucy" piano played in old Charlie Brown cartoons by such as Vince Guaraldi remind me of childhood and usher me back to the womb? Whatever the psychology, it works for me. Bill Evans, Dave Brubeck, Keith Jarrett, Herbie Hancock, Art Tatum, Thelonius Monk, Red Garland, Chick Corea...but now the mind's racing again. Each person will find their own particular relaxing groove to help sleep approach, ranging from silence to swing and everywhere in between.

Let the mellow mood just sweep us away, and all that jazz!

No comments:

Post a Comment