Wednesday 23 March 2011

Voice of the Voiceless "Scum"


Hear nowt...
See nowt...


Say nowt...erm, not likely!




Guardian article about the fight for the genuinely disabled



This article (link above) highlights how one woman is making a difference. Like disabled and disabilty rights campaigning bloggers everywhere, she is helping to enable the voice of the genuinely disabled to get across, in the face of the latest panic-driven welfare reforms.

We all know reform is needed. The fear is that the "one size fits all" approach, where the form-fillers of ATOS (to whom inadequately devised new "capability assessments" have been farmed out by the Department of Work and Pensions), will deem everyone fit for work just in order to tick boxes and meet targets.

Like most of us, I've been through rigorous DWP independent disability assessments before, when the outcome was always that in no way was my health adequate to return to work, even part-time. A pen-pusher saying "you're well" has never yet been a cure for systemic disabling illnesses like M.E.!

I really admire how this disability campaigner,  Kaliya Franklin boldly calls her own website:



Benefit Scrounging Scum


This is the label the media has blithely affixed to her, to me, to you and all those forced out of their jobs and onto welfare or early pensions by genuine illness, lumping us in the same bracket as malingerers and cheats to whom we bear no resemblance at all.

For many of us who are ill, the current welfare reforms that target all alike, fill us with dread, despair and unwarranted shame. Jobs are hard to come by even for the young and fit. Those of us who might manage to muddle through for a day or two, would then be so crashed and unwell that we would be worse off than ever before.

I know. I've been there. I forced myself back to work so many times until I could no longer walk, think or speak with M.E. 

Claiming welfare is no glamorous "lifestyle choice". It's a last resort. It's a lifeline that we hate to have to ask for, and one we never in our wildest nightmares imagined we would have to rely on, for a day, let alone for an extended period.
 

I, like thousands of others, earned a decent wage in a demanding, satisfying professional career and long studied-for calling, after a lifetime's apprenticeship of experiences, work paid and unpaid, and grafting.

I paid my taxes (I never claimed for half I could have in my job!) which I still pay, of course, living greenly, cycling and walking, working on my days off whenever the phone or doorbell rang, going the extra mile without a second thought (as everyone does in caring professions and  so many others), always called "hard-working", relied on by many with a full diary of work and social commitments and connections.


Now, through no choice of my own, here I am. Through some unseen virus, picked up through hard and risky work in foreign parts, (which people wrongly thought heroic, or crazy at the time, people who filled up my "spare" time for years afterwards wanting to hear all about my work, at their fundraisers and meetings!) I'm suddenly counted by those who don't even know me or my blemishless history of conscientious citizenship, as scum. Everyone and their dog can now say whatever they like about me and wish me to hell in a leaky handcart as a contemptible "benefit bludger."


We may be too sick to march or protest as we might have when well, as we gladly did back then on behalf of those more vulnerable people for whom we once gladly spent our time and efforts, and will again if able. (Speed that day!).


But there are ways now, by internet, for instance, by which vulnerable voices can still be heard. Some days I'm too sick to read a blog, let alone write one, but when I can, I try to do my part.


I lend my support, such as it is, to disability rights campaigners like Kaliya Franklin in this article, and her fellow blogging colleagues, like those who blog as


The Broken of Britain


and I appreciate The Guardian (for once!) for giving the unpopular hoarse voice of we voiceless "scum" a balanced airing for once, without all the devastating vitriol and hype.









No comments:

Post a Comment