Tuesday 20 December 2011

Shuttlecocks and Shattering Shocks

BBC News: Is the new disabled work benefit working?

I don't hold out much hope for this programme tonight. I don't get a good feeling from this BBC preamble by Helen Grady.

An M.E. sufferer who is "one of the country's top wheelchair badminton players" and "a regular at live action role-play festivals"? Some mistake in the report? Some mistake in the diagnosis? I don't pretend to know.

Perhaps it's just my ignorance. I thought being top at badminton must mean you can do more than apply yourself in "short bursts". I know shuttlecocks are light pieces of equipment. Badminton isn't squash. But even from when I played it very occasionally years ago, before M.E.completely shut down my neuro-immune system, I know it's one heck of an energetic game. Far beyond anything I could manage now. Is it just because I'm now 50, having suffered M.E. in remitting-relapsing deteriorating pattern since at least my 20s, and the M.E. sufferer in the above-linked article is still only 27?

I sat talking to visitors today. Sat slumped, propping my head to help my neck to support it so as not to appear rude or bored. Two low-maintenance dear old friends this morning who did most of the talking. One dear old friend this afternoon, to whom I showed a slide show of photos on the laptop as we chewed over some family history brick walls, a shared interest that brought us together. My Mum even stayed long enough to make the tea for us to save me some extra "spoons".

Now I am utterly crashed. Head spinning. Throat hurting and hardly any voice left. Wrists too sore to type for long. Eyes blurred. Unsteady. Ears singing. Heart palpitating. Feverish and shivery. Nausea and pain making eating tea difficult. Forgetting my words. Exhausted to point I need to sink down right here on the carpet, if I didn't risk not being able to get up again. Hot and cold by turns because my autonomic nervous system is completely up the spout.

Even without badminton or any outing today, many things with M.E. are way out of bounds now to me. Co-ordination, concentration and strength to drive, for one (though diabetes type 1 with no hypo warnings rules that out in any case). Badminton or any strenuous sport, for another. Self-propelling myself in a wheelchair for yet another. Even carrying and using my walking stick is making my hands, wrists, arms, shoulders and chest unbearably sore this last week.

A dear family member, also diagnosed with M.E. much younger than me, who got treatment right away, does drive now, does some teaching and plays some tennis and does some cycling. So I know it's possible, in remission. But she is always aware of her limitations. At her worst, she has the huge frustration of knowing she can't keep it up, either safely, or at all.

I have to lie down, now. I can't say more about this today. I refuse to whine. I won't criticise. But I fear the backlash here, yet again, from people convinced that with full-blown M.E. we are all fit for the Olympics and driving from Land's End to John O'Groats on a regular basis. We are patently not. Not all of us. That's all I know. Am I living on a parallel planet? ATOS are sponsors of the Paralympics. Is this propaganda for them?

No doubt I need to shut up, rest and listen to the programme with an open mind, if  possible, even if with a pretty foggy brain!

I doubt after my little goals today I'll still have the concentration to listen reliably. Neither the concentration, the stamina or the heart. Not in Christmas week. Not when the tiniest unexpected, even delightful moment, can soak up the last bit of energy and health at my fingertips. Not while we're still reeling at the news that renowned and tireless diability rights campaigner Sue Marsh (if only poor Sue was really able to do all she does and not be made disablingly sick and tired!) joins the legion of genuinely very sick and disabled refused help: Guardian: Comment is Free: Sue Marsh: No disability living allowance for me. Nowhere to turn for many more

The description of tonight's programme runs:-Can You Touch Your Toes, presented by Anita Anand, will be broadcast on BBC Radio 4 at 20:00 GMT on Tuesday 20 December.

If I manage to listen to "Can You Touch Your Toes" with eyes shut and brain engaged, I'll try to blog about it later or maybe tomorrow to open a forum here for any reactions.

I began by saying I don't hold out much hope. But I still do. I always will. Or that really would be the end of the road.

Footnote: Having listened now, I really haven't much inclination to add to my comments above. Spoons are precious to all of us. My experience of M.E.bears little resemblance to what was implied on the programme. I can't speak for others.  That ATOS and the WCA is deeply flawed was clearly demonstrated, though. I'm off to practise for enforced work as a draught excluder. Night all. Tomorrow's another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment