Thursday 22 December 2011

The dreaded DWP phonecall - but all is calm, all is bright (for now!)

It seems a crazy and contradictory situation to be thankful for being told you are "unfit for work". Does that make someone a scrounger or a conscientious realist? I hope you can understand my gratitude that for now, while I am too ill to leave bed or house some days, this is the best outcome for me for the time being.

An older gentleman from the DWP rang me this morning at 9.48am. I thought he was about to tell me I was being called in for a Work Capability Assessment (the much-criticised and humiliating DWP medical) carried out by ATOS.

On the contrary, he was very gentle and full of reassurance. Nothing to worry about, it was a "courtesy call" to tell me the outcome of my filling in the ESA50 last month. Because this is just a couple of days before the post shuts down over Christmas, he wanted me to know the outcome, just in case the official letter doesn't reach me in the next few days. He hopes it will come tomorrow, but can't be sure with the Christmas rush.

He explained that my migration from Invalidity Benefit (IB) to the new equivalent Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) has been successful. He also stated that I should not be contacted again for WCA for 18 months. The change over should happen about January 17th, and the rate will remain the same. I asked whether this meant Support Group (SG) or Work Related Activity Group (WRAG) and he said the latter, which is right, and what I had hoped.

This usually entails 6 Work Focused Interviews (WFI) with a personal adviser. These cover matters like dealing with your illness, acquiring skills, voluntary work etc that may help prepare for a future return to work. Basically, tackling any barriers that need to be overcome in order to return to employment. The sort of things always uppermost in my plans and the focus of my efforts even on my very worst days. (Also a more structured equivalent of the work related interviews I had in 2008 with a personal adviser at the local JCP in the weeks after my original claim once SSP had run out).

I will need to be careful to try and be well enough to attend these WFIs when called, as this is part of the contract, even though at the moment (until and if the hotly contested 1-year time limit on contributions-based ESA comes in through the Welfare Reform Bill in April 2012) there is no sanction if you cannot find a job by the end of the 6 WFIs. That is tomorrow's worry, even if it remains today's fight on behalf of all those who have not been fortunate enough to have been placed in the correct group. Please don't think this post is smug or triumphalist. I feel for everyone who has fallen foul of the deeply flawed system through no fault of their own.

Figures I have seen claim that, of those who apply for ESA:
6% - Support Group
16% - Work Related Activity Group
 36% -claim withdrawn
3% -  claims in progress
39% - "fit for work"

Sorry if these aren't the latest statistics. I've seen various figures quoted and am now so brain-fogged, I can't sift them for the most recent! This info is taken from here

Point I'm trying to make is I feel very fortunate I have been put in the WRAG, at least, just from medical information without the full ATOS medical. Perhaps they looked back at the one I had in 2008 and saw from my records that my illnesses (Type 1 diabetes, no hypo symptoms & M.E.) have not improved, and have in some ways deteriorated.

I would be interested to see the ESA85 medical report from which such a decision was taken, but won't do this with any intention to appeal. The support group is limited to very specific cases, and if the time comes when I fit those criteria, it will no doubt be apparent to those putting me through the various work-related hoops!

More determined than ever to keep trying to raise awareness and fight for the many people in dire need who have been cut adrift. When I was fit to work in years past, I always tried to be compassionate to those who were hardest hit in society. I won't be stopping now. Though at the moment, I must leave the blazing ferocity of the laptop screen and rest in a darkened room! Certain nightmares have been put on hold, for now. If I was any more thankful and grateful, my heart might well explode!

No comments:

Post a Comment