Friday 1 April 2011

Enada NADH Progress Report Day 2

Well, quick update on the Enada NADH received yesterday.

The tablets are small and very easy indeed to swallow. Mind you, I'm known for being able to swallow the most revolting and/or huge pills without breaking my stride! Diabetes "metformin" tablets are my least favourites and can even make me shudder and wince!


Took two 5 mg Enada tablets (i.e. 10mg) when I got the package from Amazon through the post just before lunch yesterday.
Nothing dramatic through the day, which isn't surprising. Most courses of medicines will need a period of time before they "kick in".


Today, took another 10mg dose before breakfast which consisted of fruit, rasberries to be exact, plus a slice of toast. That's about half a carb of raspberries (about 35g) plus 2 carbs of toast. My morning ratio for my fast acting insulin (Novorapid) is currently 1 +1/2 times each unit of carb, so I took 4 units of Novorapid, plus my usual 6 units of basal insulin (Levemir), which is half my daily dose which I take split in half at 9am and 9pm to help it last through the entire 24 hours.

Hadn't slept well last night, and so woke with "rubbery" limbs, slight headache, cold hands, spells of dizziness as I move about. Nothing unusual, really, and a relatively "good" day, as I am now up and about. 

My BG before lunch was 3.9. Hypo to some, but quite normal for me before a meal. My BG after fasting this morning was 7.4, bang on normal. I get a lot of the "Dawn Phenomenon" coupled with many episodes of the opposite "Somogyi Effect", so I'm always pleased to see a normal reading first thing! I'm sometimes in double figures then, due to the above mentioned ie high after a night hypo ("Somogyi Effect") or high because of the body's adrenal and hormonal responses to the "fight or flight" of early morning ("Dawn Phenomenon"). So far, so good.


Through this morning I've been borderline hypo twice, at about 10.30am and 11.30am. I get very few hypo warnings these days, apart from a kind of "glowing fog cloud" in my field of vision when my blood sugar drops to 1.9-2.2 ish. Yes, alarming to some, normal for me throughout the 27 years I've been diabetic! 


On those occasions I took 3 jelly babies (fast acting sugar, 10g) and a plain rich tea biscuit (not so fast acting 10g) to bring me back into normal range. Before lunch (soup and a slice of bread with a chunk of cheese) I was 4.5. I took 1 tablet more (5g) of the Enada (15mg in all today) to make sure I'm neither under or overdosing myself. The recommendation on the packet says best to take it in the morning, which makes sense as more energy expended during day than at night.


So far: borderline hypo most of the morning, which can happen anyway at times. Any more hypos and I'll have to start wondering if the Enada is a cure for Type 1 diabetes instead! I do wonder if I'll find that with the extra energy the Enada may be encouraging my body to store, I may need less or more insulin (less would seem the case, if any, from this morning, but of course, this is far too early to make any judgments or changes). There's the wise "Three day rule" in insulin therapy, that adjustments should only be made on the evidence of several days, rather than switching amounts around willy nilly.

Activity levels this morning were things like catching up with email and checking in with friends online, cleaning the downstairs loo, making a Mother's Day card for the weekend (already partially made), feeding the birds, pulling the wheelie bin back in (my kind neighbour drags it from the kerbside to my back gate for me), doing a load of washing. Rested in between each of these to some extent. At this moment (early afternoon) I have the vaguest headache still, tingling in my hands, ringing in my ears from time to time and still sore glands/throat. Have to bear in mind that I led my one service per month at the weekend, which usually takes every last ounce of energy and co-ordination I have and can take a very long time to recover from, even on the best of weeks.


I feel no worse or better than normal. My mind was racing in the night, as often happens with illnesses like M.E. that involve disturbed sleep patterns, so I won't read anything into that. I just take a bit of time for quiet prayer and a little gentle jazz till I drift off again! Or just lie quietly and let the world softly turn! I'm just reporting this for the record, if it might help anyone else on their personal journey.


Stick with me.
I'll report back again soon on this one.







No comments:

Post a Comment