Wednesday 13 April 2011

CoQ10-ergy! Still hoping!



Well, it's been over a week now that I've been trying the CoQ10 and stopped the statins. Time for another quick catch-up!

The pitch has been queered a bit this week as I developed a cold which forced up my blood sugars and left me achey and feverish.

However, the cold has dried up very quickly (by my own horribly low standards of recovery speed!). My throat is  quite sore, still, which is either from the cold, or maybe the typical M.E.-type of razor-bladey throat.

My Mum was over at the weekend as usual to help with domestic stuff. The weather was so beautiful last weekend here in northern England. Warm temperatures up in the 60s, sunshine getting everyone out in the gardens. Mum,  bless her, gave my back lawn its first taste of the lawnmower this season, while I pottered, sitting down on a chair most of the time, to do a spot of pruning. 

I managed well enough, with frequent rests and naps to keep me going, but considering I had a virus this week too, I'm really pleased to have achieved as much as we did.

I've had plenty of "payback" from that activity since then, in the first three days of this week. (The sun's taken its hat back off and the temperature has plummeted!) But on the whole, since stopping the statins and taking the CoQ10, my head has felt "clearer" and I've been able to wake earlier and felt more alert, I think. 

My current dose is about 100mg CoQ10 a day, taken in the morning. This means taking 10 capsules of 10mg, from a bottle of just 100! As you can guess, this is rapidly diminishing the stock of pills. But I have some more on order, the cheapest I could find online from a company doing a BOGOF (buy one get one free) deal. The new tabs will be a higher dose of 100mg each, and I'm getting 30 capsules with 30 extra free for £14.99 from a company called "Simply Supplements" at 


I did some comparison of the prices per mg of more than a dozen brands and this was the cheapest I found online. However, after clicking send, I realised I hadn't compared the unit price of the Holland and Barrett original purchase from a branch in town. This actually proved the cheapest (about 10p per mg compared to 24p per mg). One online pharmacy was actually charging 99p per mg, while most seemed to be about the 50p mark. This is frankly unaffordable longterm, but if I am convinced of their good effects, as I said before, I can just keep them in reserve for days of particular energy need.

The original Enada Nadh has quickly run out, and as it has a very similar function to the related coenzyme, I am persisting with the readily available  CoQ10 alone. Mainly because it is well documented in the M.E. community and also among the statin takers of the world, of whose number I'm a member on both counts!

I've slept quite well, most nights, and the main difference is a clearer (if not totally clear!) head. I still struggle for words and co-ordination when I'm getting tired etc, but onward and upward! I don't think I'm as itchy as I was prior to stopping the Simvastatin. A patch on my left shoulder blade has calmed down a little.

Sadly, the online delivery from Simply Supplements was promised for the following day if ordered before 6.  I ordered on Sunday evening and even allowing for the weekend etc, it's now Wednesday! Still, I'm not quite out of the original stock yet, so if they come soon, I'll be able to go seamlessly onto the 100mg capsules by the end of the week, in the build up to Easter with its extra energy challenges!

As ever, watch this space!


1 comment: