Tuesday 13 September 2011

Something for the Weekend! (But Monday's a non-starter!)


 On Sunday I was planned to lead worship at a church where the congregation understands more than most about M.E.


Not only have they lost a full-time minister in their circuit to the disease, i.e. me, but one of their own beloved local worship leaders in the congregation also has M.E.


She and I discussed how we were both doing at the moment, comparing the muscle pain that makes even wearing a bra uncomfortable when the chest, diaphragm and stomach feel swollen with poison.


 We talked as only those who really undestand can, about those IBS-like symptoms and those days when even though you can get up, appetite is nil. Contemplating the complex processes of fancying food, preparing it, cooking it and having the strength left to lift fork to lips to eat it, is just one step too far!


 Overdoing things, plus passing viruses always end up flooring us both, in spite of our positive attitudes. People know us both too well in our church communities to imagine it's all in our minds, thank goodness! (Though we've both had more than enough of that attitude from elsewhere including medics!)


It was a "relatively" better day for us both. Relatively better, of course, or I couldn't have been there to take the service, nor she to be in the congregration! I was leading my one brief hour of worship per month at her church. I still can't manage any more. 




 Being there for Sunday meant I couldn't be at the circuit preachers' meeting for fellowship the following day. I can't do things day after day, still, or my body can't recoup what it loses with each effort. Since then I've been virtually housebound and sleeping for England, trying to recover. My throat's now sore and glands swollen with that brief hour of projecting, laughing, sharing, chatting, concentrating. My muscles are spasming now at the slightest move and I feel like I've just swum a polluted Thames with David Walliams this weekend! (I wish! Well done, that man!)


 My aim is now to gradually recover enough to manage something similar (preach not swim, silly!) at another church some time next month, and if all goes to plan, the month after too. We talked about how this itself was a fantastic thing to be thankful for, compared to early days when I could hardly stand and speak at the same time at all, let alone every so often on a good day. 


She had had a particularly bad time the previous week and still looked as washed out and doddery as me! (We are both in our middle years, rather than the pensioners our bodies take us for!).


When I talked to friends in the congregation that I hadn't seen for over a year, how I'm planning to raise funds for Invest in ME for my 50th birthday next month, a few asked if I had thought of talking to the Circuit Admin Assistant about it? Why not publicise this more widely, considering how many people know me from my ministry in the area in past years?


I hadn't actually thouught of that. I always feel very reluctant to push any cause related to myself, but it all fell into place as a possibility when several folks enthusiastically went on to remind about the Circuit newsletter which has regular circulation round all the different Methodist Churches in our area and has a readership beyond the pews.

 So that's next. When strength returns a bit! I'll contact the editors soon so it can be mentioned (warmly!) there, with links to the charity and to my fundraising page

Joyce's 50th Birthday Gift 4 M.E.


I really think this will help many people who know people with M.E. like myself and the worship leader, to have a chance to do something positive.


In spite of being completely wiped out by going to church this weekend, even with a door to door lift and wonderful support all the way, it was a true blessing as always. I usually don't even have the health to walk to my own local church round the corner! Many were touched and reached by my message, they said, and being in the right place at the right time, for me, the congregation's suggestions might just have unseen ripples into the future for everyone with this devastating disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment