Monday 23 May 2011

Miracle - a GP who understands M.E.!

Haven't posted for a couple of weeks as on May 8th I started to feel "extra" symptoms I guessed were above and beyond M.E.'s daily challenges. Mum had had a streaming cold for about three weeks at that point. I thought I might have escaped. Wrong!

By Tuesday my throat was getting a little sore (see entry about Strepsils on the 9th, when I was still well enough to joke about it!) and my chest tight. Blood sugars were climbing into double figures without a lick of food. I was sweaty hot (too much information!), dithering cold and everything in between in the space of an hour.

Just a cold. Just a throat infection. Just a chest infection. Just a virus.

Greedy as ever, though, my immune system turned up its toes and hunkered down for a sit in!

I struggled on, getting weaker, more feverish and chilled, sicker, in pain, less appetite. I was so determined, as ever, to push through and take part in speaking at a local service, as planned.

By the weekend I could hardly swallow for the pain. A bit like swallowing razor blades wrapped in barbed wire. Not that I've tried it! A dry, itchy cough was developing too. 


Frustratingly, I had no option but to cancel taking part in the Junior Church's celebration that second weekend. I had promised to lead a full service plus communion the following weekend (yesterday), and a circuit service address this Thursday. I've had to pull out of them all.

My voice comes and goes at the moment. That often happens just with the M.E. on its own. With a virus I had no chance. I was getting almost delirious through the night and last Monday my Mum decided on going to ask advice at my local surgery. I was so sick I actually let her, for a change! 

A young GP in the practice (not mine) said she would come to check me out, as it was on her way home.

She confirmed what I knew well already. Severe throat/chest virus. There's a lot of it around. She checked all the usual Diabetes stuff - was I continuing to inject even though I could hardly eat? Yes - 26 years of experience there. D.A.F.N.E. sick day rules and all that. Yes - check. I told her I was upping my insulin etc to bring down my sugars (fasting sugar regularly in the 20s at that point, just through the fever/virus doing its bit) and doing so as successfully as possible.

Then came that miracle! (Better miracle than the recent latest "Rapture" nonsense, too!) The GP understood all about how M.E. would be affecting me at all times, not least when a virus gets a hold. She didn't question whether or not it was "all in the mind". She didn't need a crash course in what medical science is gradually uncovering. She's in her 20s and actually on the ball!

She left, saying that considering the concurrent conditions of Type 1 Diabetes plus M.E., I could be looking at at least three weeks before seeing much improvement. So I can do what my body so needs me to do and rest to let it regenerate itself slowly as only it can do.

This virus has already made my throat as impossbly sore as I remember it 11 years ago after my first bout of shingles should have warned me my body was struggling. Back then I had no idea that my many problems were part of M.E. (not just diabetes). Back then, the severity of the throat pain was inexplicable by my then-GP in Southampton. It would be another 6 years before M.E. was fully confirmed through the local M.E. clinic and first through many tests and a session at the Immunology and Tropical Diseases Unit.

The sensation of lying on a burning mat has returned to haunt me on a regular basis as my muscles twitch with enervation, the worst it's been for quite a while. Disconcerting, as you can imagine. I don't want to slip back this time, into al major relapse.

We all know, with M.E., the next crash is always potentially just round the corner. Overworking muscles. Overworking the brain. Doing two things at once. That random virus from a cold or flu or anything at all. Ostrich head in sand and eyes on the clouds or not.

The young GP was up to speed and so reliable. With a virus, she knew antibiotics are ineffective. That's more than several people with (supposed) nursing training had advised before her visit. Thank goodness at least some younger folks in the N.H.S. have some quality basic training! That's so often NOT been my honest experience in the past, particularly with well-meaning overworked souls trained years ago. She did say that with the underlying conditions, if I wasn't improved at all after a month, I might need some blood tests (my diabetic yearly bloods are due anyway) to make sure I'm rallying.


My faith in humanity restored, I'm on my way to recovery. At least to the state of health (such as it was) I had before this virus!

Yippee-dee! Might still feel like death warmed up, but my Spirit's back to soaring with hope that centimetre by centimetre, M.E. Awareness is slowly, slowly inching forward! :)

2 comments:

  1. I wish i could find a GP like the one i had in Doncaster, i feel lost here, maybe one will come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such as an old post but I hope you're well and still active on here! I live in Southampton and desperately need an ME-friendly GP. Would you mind telling me who this young lady was? I'd love to get an appointment with her.

    ReplyDelete